Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Dose of Reality

Raising twins is awesome and I LOVE it. There are however some days, like today, for instance, that are a bit more challenging. So in the interest of "keepin' it real" I give you......

A day in the life

  • 7:30 Wake/Dress etc.

  • 8:00 Boys wake up crabby and both want to be picked up which is getting a bit more difficult given the fact that together they weigh over 50 lbs.

  • Throw breakfast together to take with us, make milk sippies (aka chaka monkey), change, dress, and get shoes on them.

  • 8:58 Arrive at 9am appt. JUST IN TIME.

  • 9:00 Escorted back to the fun playroom where we typically wait FOREVER to be seen. Much to my surprise by the time I get the boys out of their stroller and they are mid-way to the slides a lovely lady comes out and calls our name. I am THRILLED that I didn't have to wait a day and a half. My sweet toddlers are DEVASTATED. This leads to me trying to wrangle them back into the stroller that they were just unleashed from. It was not pretty and involved kicking and screaming.

  • 9:03 Mommy is slightly embarrassed and begins making promises about playing with the slide soon in order to calm insane children. I even get down to their level a la Nanny 911. Note to self: it doesn't work, it never works, they are too out of control at this point.

  • Sweet lady finds them books and all is well for about 10 minutes.

  • At this point they want to do blood work and get heights and weights.

  • I brace myself for a little bit of a struggle but they are usually great with this and only cry at the poke because, well, it hurts, and then they are over it.

  • NOT TODAY, Alex freaks out about being measured and weighed and by then he is so worked up that the blood work may as well have been an amputation. OY!

  • Eli has been watching from the stroller and is already crying for his brother, so not only am I comforting hysteria boy in my lap I am trying to comfort Eli (my usually calmer child, but again, NOT TODAY).

  • Eli repeats Alex's performance but weighs more thereby causing Mommy to break out into an aerobic sweat by the time we are finished.

  • 9:30 WE SURVIVED and as far as I am concerned we are heading for the play room. NOT TODAY! Insert pleasant ladies voice "Mrs. R we just need a bit more paperwork and then you are all set. "

  • 9:32 Back in the stroller. I don't even need to tell you what happened just read the end of the 5th bullet point again.

  • 9:45 We are finished, as in, we can leave.

  • 9:50 We are still there playing on the slides.

  • 10:00 Still playing

  • 10:05 I am exhausted and we are outta there.

  • 10:06 Mommy decided we will visit Daddy at school. At this point you may think this was an insane choice but at school the boys usually don their wings and halos and it is peaceful for Mommy. It was for the most part (despite dropping Thomas, you know the tank engine, in a big puddle).

  • 10:40 We are home and heading for the back yard. I now think it is wind down time. It is a beautiful day, my toes are in the grass and nap is in less than two hours.

  • 11:30 Bring them in and give them their daily dose of Barney.

  • 12:00 Lunch

  • 12:30 Begin prepping them for their nap, change diapers, etc. It is at this point that I notice that Alex has a rash around his mouth. You see, the nutritionist said it was fine to start peanut butter. I did and shouldn't have.
  • 12:35 Call Dr.

  • 12:38 Call Jared

  • 12:45 Head to the pharmacy but not before Alex tries to bring his bus with him. I let the boys bring little things with us but a bus, come on. I pry said bus from eachandeveryoneofhischubbylittle fingers and head out the door while he screams "bus, bus, bus, bus,".

  • 12:50 Arrive at pharmacy and forgo the cart trying to hurry and as an added bonus give the boys a bit of freedom.

  • 12:52 Head back to pharmacy entrance to get a cart after the boys discovered the sunglasses display and the candy display and the magazine display. (yes, all in 2 minutes)

  • 12:53 Guess who doesn't want in the cart.

  • 1:00 Leave pharmacy with Benadryl

  • 1:10 Call Dr. to check on how much to give.

  • 1:15 Finally get off the phone with Dr. only to hear splashing and laughing. My boys were playing in the toilet and had wet sleeves, hair and Alex's mouth was wet (lovely).

  • 1:16 Clean boys up, give Benadryl to Alex, PUT THEM TO BED

And that my friend is all before 1:20p.m.

People say to me they couldn't imagine having twins and I always say it is awesome but there are difficult "moments". I make it through the difficult situations because there are moments like the ones in this video. Enjoy! (By the way, the "good bibs" were in the wash, which is why Eli's looks a bit out of proportion!) :)


monica said...

Oh no- allergic to peanut butter...that is awful! I am sorry you have had such a busy and stressful day. Maybe when the boys wake up they will treat mom nice and play well!!

Following Him said...

Oh my goodness! What a FULL morning! Hope the benedryl did it's trick and the rash went away. You are such a great Mom!

Liz said...

wow! that is a morning! Is it bad that I was laughing?
I give you credit for going to the dr. by yourself. I drag hubby along!
The splashing in the mud was awesome!!LOL They are too cute together.

Stephanie said...

What a fun filled morning. I remember those day. Who am I kidding, I still have those days. Praise God for naptime! I love the video. Who doesn't love to play in the mud. Have a great week!

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Oh my goodness! That soooo reminds me of the days when my twin 6 year old nephews were younger. Oh good times!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I have my hands full with one.

I can't imagine trying to get through doctors and all that with two.

Good luck! You sound like you can handle anything they throw at you.

Becky said...

Thanks for the confidence ladies. You gotta love days like those, right???