Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolutions!



I've never been big into resolutions as an adult, or should I say I have never been big into keeping them :0. This year, however, it appeals to me. I have started such a new life in the past, hmm lets see, 20 and a half months, since I have become a mom that "stays at home". I have left the "work place", although this is the hardest job I have ever had, and completely changed my idea of what is "important" to me at the end of the day. So rather than spouting out my "usual", you know: get healthy, read my bible more, be organized, I got a bit more specific (althought the aforementioned are all on my list, again) and broke things down according to life areas. I not only made the serious goals, you know the ones that scare you as you make them because you realize that the changes will NOT be fun and will take more work than you care to think about, but also some small easier ones. For instance, read a book on photography, take the boys to the zoo, finish the boy's baby albums (yes, they are almost 2, don't judge me :) ).


The verses that are my inspiration as I take on these goals are:

Ps 90:13 (Moses' Prayer) "Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom"

and

Prov. 16:3 "Commit your every work to the Lord,...".

I am enjoying this clean slate that comes with a new year and I find it a beautiful realization that God offers us this clean slate as we confess our shortcomings to him, not only every year but every day and every moment. I will be honest enough to say that this year as my pastor spoke about the new year I fought hard against my flesh that was saying "don't bother, you can't change" and decided to believe what God's word has to say about it instead. I know it is difficult and I am right there with you but I encourage you to sit down, commit your works to the Lord and then allow him to guide you as you write out resolutions/goals for the new year. My pastor encouraged us, along with confession, to break our routine. Analyze you current routine and be honest about it's shortcomings. This was encouraging to me so I thought I would share. Don't worry I will be back blabbering about my kids soon enough. :)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love reading your blog. I always come away encouraged. Thank you!! I will keep you in my prayers. Together we can stick to these new year resolutions, no matter how hard they can be!!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Thanks Steph!