Friday, September 24, 2010

A dose of reality

You know how, as a mother, you have those "perfect Mom" days. I had one of those yesterday. I woke up and made the boys alphabet pancakes with a Mickey Mouse shaped one thrown in to make them smile. They screamed out which letter they wanted made next and I complied. We sounded out each and we had a lot of fun. We made a craft out of their cubby handbook and talked about all the beautiful things the Lord has made in the world. Although, Alex laughs hysterically at the fact that God made chickens. He thinks I am kidding about this one and refuses to believe me. :) We played in the backyard and I thought "my life is unbelievably wonderful". I had all my kids home and they are healthy and happy. My husband works his butt off so I can stay home with these kids and I am unbelievably blessed.

I LOVE days that are like the one I described above but they are not always my reality so before my optimism and joy seems unrealistic and maybe a bit irritating :) let me tell you about my day today. I woke up with a headache, which, may have been because I was up 1/2 the night with a fussy newborn or because my 3 year old had a nightmare and needed Mama at some ridiculous hour. Alex woke up in rare form today for the 2nd day IN A ROW. To give you an idea of what this looks like, yesterday, he threw a fit becasue I shook his chocolate milk cup instead of using a spoon to stir it. I am not kidding, I REALLY wish I were. We needed milk and juice so rather than wait for Jared to get home, like any sane person would, I took all 3 of my kids to the grocery store (with a headache). I reasoned that this grocery store is smaller and has those cute little carts that Alex and Eli could push. They don't have those carts anymore.

Long story short, I wasn't a "perfect mom" today and of course I never actually am. I was the Mom who lost her patience, whose kids watched 2 Veggie Tales along with way too many other shows, who heated up mac n' cheese and let them eat it in front of the TV. Yeah, I was that Mom and while I will have other days like this, it just makes me treasure the days when I sit in my backyard and thank God for what feels like a little glimpse of heaven. Today, however I am just thankful that he promises to renew my strength.

Now 2 of the 3 are napping and I am hanging with my Addie (who is starting to sport a double chin), drinking a cup of coffee and blogging. Life isn't too bad. :)

coffee/addie

1 comment:

Kari said...

I can TOTALLY relate Becky! There are those days (more lately than I'd like to admit) where I can't WAIT until my babies go down for the night and then after an hour I want to go up and hold them. We're all good mommies and love our babies/husbands unconditionally. Somedays are just harder than others! ;)